CAD - FRC Survival Guide
CAD - Computer Aided Design - Survival Guide
These are the documents used in our CAD presentation for team use.
1. Drawings and Detailing (15 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/174/drawings-and-detailing
2. Sketch: Smart Dimension (15 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/177/sketch-smart-dimension
3. Sketch: Trimming (6 min): hhttp://my.solidworks.com/training/master/176/sketch-trimming
4. Planes (9 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/186/planes
5. Sketch: Convert and Offset Entities (15 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/184/sketch-convert-and-offset-entities
6. Editing Parts (13 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/192/editing-parts
7. Hole Wizard (13 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/187/hole-wizard
8. Selection Tools (9 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/71/selection-tools
9. Bottom-Up Assembly Modeling (15 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/196/bottom-up-assembly-modeling
10. Top-Down Assembly Modeling (13 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/88/top-down-assembly-modeling
11. Introduction to Sheet Metal (9 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/305/introduction-to-sheet-metal
12. UI Customization (12 min): http://my.solidworks.com/training/master/191/ui-customization
Browse the full catalog at: http://my.solidworks.com/training/catalog/?&category=f%2Fdb_record_subtype%2FLessons
From Hall of Fame team 1114, Simbotics, a series of solidworks tutorials that start with the basics of CAD and go into designing a 1114-style chassis.
Brought to you from team 1678, Citris Circuits, a series of methods to streamline your season and get the maximum value out of your 3d Design. Presented by 973's Lead Mentor, Adam Heard.
For Solidworks, I've found that the online videos on my.solidworks.com are useful to get familiar with the software. Some of the lessons cover information we usually do not use in FRC, but it's useful to know anyway. Here's a little learning path for some rookie CAD students below. You can gain also gain access to some of the more complicated lessons if you input your Solidworks Serial Number and register as a student.
From the infamous Robot Inspector Isaac Rife, written as mentor of FRC team 33, the Killer Bees, a presentation on how to reduce weight when building your robot! Take it from Team 3641, when your first rookie event and the robot weighs in at 152lbs, time for a diet!
A series of Solidworks CAD videos from FRC team 973, the Greybots, that include gFRC specific mechanisms including a West Coast Drive train, and how to CAD them.
Simple introduction to CAD and it's uses in FIRST
A comprehensive library of SOLIDWORKS online self-paced courses and assessments. Trust our industry leading experts from Tata Technologies as they provide in-depth instruction and practice along with our Try It exercises. Earn i GET IT Learning Points and earn Certificates for completing your training courses. Browse through our full list of SOLIDWORKS courses below.
Look Ma, no chains! WCP has several neat tutorials on how to design your robot using belts instead of being tied to chains.
Brought to you from Hall of Fame team 254, the Cheesy Poofs, a cool tutorial on designing a gearbox plate using SolidWorks.
You are going to design a robot in CAD. How do you name & organize your many files so that you can keep track of them and not waste time. Brought to from Hall of Fame team 254, the Cheesy Poofs, they explain on how to number and organize you CAD files.